Thursday, June 1, 2006

June!

I can't believe its mid-year already! Where did the time go? Not that I'm complaining, of course. Like most Pinoys, the 'ber' months are my favourites and this means it's just a short 3 months to the first ber month - September!!

And to reiterate that we are halfway through the year, the Straits Times today reported on their front page that civil servants will receive a mid-year bonus of half a month's salary plus an additional S$220 in July.

The report quoted the Public Service Division as saying that the higher payout for the 60,000 strong civil service comes on the back of a strong economy. Last year, government employees received a 0.4-month bonus plus S$200 also in July.

Hmm, this is good news in that the company where I work seems to follow (I think) the general trend of the government when determining bonuses, i.e., when the civil service gets an increase in bonus, we also are so blessed at year-end. Of course, this is true only for the across-the-board type of bonuses. The merit bonuses are an entirely different matter altogether. As the name implies, these bonuses depend on how one performed for the year, give or take maybe the number of apples you polished or left to rot during the year. (Yes, apple polishers do get their way sometimes.)

Anyway, back to it being June, I haven't started yet on some items in my to-do list this year!

1. get married
2. learn how to scuba dive
3. go to a new place
4. lose 15 pounds !@^&*#(*(&#%^@
5. read Lee Kuan Yew's memoirs

I must hustle!

Now who wants to learn how to scuba dive with me. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading a book now by Nora Ephron called "Heartburn" and it's a nice read. You might want to check it out. wala lang.... - nap