Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Wax job

I went for leg waxing on Friday morning, my first time to have a pro do it for me after a spot of DIY-ing at home some weeks ago. I figured a pro job's cost of S$30 (Php981) was well-worth the money, inasmuch as it took me an entire evening of stop-and-go labour when I did it myself kasi I had to accommodate intervals of rest from pain.

Anyway, little did I know that I was soon to be not only de-haired in Fave Nails -- I was also de-skinned (meaning burned!!!).

The session started ok enough: the pain was bearable, the lady worked briskly with an electric wax applicator but i noticed soon after that she would stop every so often to go stir the pot of hot wax plugged to an electric container located maybe 5 steps away from us. I was just observing her but didn't say anything until I saw her plunge a popsicle stick-kind of applicator into the hot wax and pulled a thick glob which she then started to take to me.

Me: Wait. What's that?

De-Fuzzing lady: I wan to try like this. To see if faster lah.

Me: Wait. Won't it be so hot?

De-Fuzzing lady: No lah. Same as that other wan.

Then she smeared the glob on my shin.

Me: AAAAAAAAAAAAAW! Shit, that's very hot. (while shaking legs)

De-Fuzzing lady: Hot ah?

WTF??!!! Is she psycho, or what?

When she peeled the wax off, the skin was smarting and was tender. When I walked out of that place an hour later, an angry red welt was already visible and it was really smarting so my next stop was Guardian's at Far East Square to get BurnAid and some gauze.

Here is the welt after 3 days. (It looks gross but that's how burns look. The burnt skin is now a bit flaky and will probably peel away soon. I just hope I wont get a scar for my vanity.)


No comments: