Monday, October 9, 2006

It's raining MAC

Two weeks before my birthday in Sept, I was in a cab on the way to Paragon in Orchard Road here to catch a shuttle service that would take me to my acupuncture session in Spa Botanica in Sentosa. I was stewing there in the cab, willing it silently to go faster so I could make it to the 11.30am free service to the spa. If I missed the shuttle, it would mean I would then have to cab it to Sentosa to make it to my appointment, which would be a waste of my $10-12!

When the cab finally pulled over at at the back taxi bay of Paragon at 11.31am, I tried to do three things at once in my hurry: gave the driver my fare while trying to close my bag while opening the cab door to start a mad dash for the shuttle bay in 5 seconds.

All to 'disastrous' results, of course!

The driver was paid, I catapulted my body out the taxi in 2 seconds ala Flash, but I would know soon after that I didn't complete the simple task of closing my bag because a few seconds later, my bag's contents spewed forth onto the pavement.

It was so embarrassing! My make-up stuff went flying all over, my utility bills, pens, my wallet burst too, scattering my coins. Eeek! I had to pick these up one by one, in front of many cabs queued on that bay too!

It took me awhile to do this and when I had ensured that I had my wallet, house keys and phone inside the bag, I left the scene, thinking that whatever else of my possessions I may have overlooked and left on the sidewalk can easily be replaced.

It was already 11.45am by then and the shuttle that I had been hurrying to catch was long gone. Still a bit shaken and adamant not to cab it all the way to Sentosa, I called the spa to ask for the possibility of a one-hour delay to my noon appointment. Thankfully they said ok to that, giving me more than enough time to regain my composure and catch the next shuttle run at 12.30pm.

While waiting, I decided to rummage through my bag to see what I could be missing. Pen (a gift from a friend), check. Checkbook, got that. Mints, dental floss, ok. Office pass, here.

Relieved that I had all my stuff, I decided to go to the loo to freshen up. And that's when I realised I was friggin missing a MAC pressed powder compact that I had just bought 2 days prior!!! Argh! How sad is that? In trying to save my $12 fare to Sentosa, I ended up losing a $45-compact. And to think that I will have to fork out another $45 to buy a replacement! boohoo. What bad luck!

I had time to spare before the bus was due so I decided to cross the road to Ngee Ann City to buy yet another compact from MAC in 2 days. While high-tailing it there, I just had to send an sms to a girlfriend to tell her of my make-up misery.

Text to Shanana: Aargh! I lost my new MAC compact. Must have left it in cab or got thrown to pavement with my other stuff. Tell you more later. And my compact is so new! Arrgghh!

Her reply: Sorry to hear that. Can I get you the replacement? Been trying to think what to give you for bday. This saves me the agony. Pls?

My reply: Just ask me what I want. If you really want me to be happy, just get me a Chanel bag. Black. Thanks, you're a darling.

Her reply: You're so funny you make my toes laugh.

Anyway, I bought a new compact and made it to the next shuttle to the spa. On the way, I mentioned to the hubby my small misery re the missing compact and he said, don't worry, let's get you more this weekend, before we went on to speak about more important stuff.

I completely forgot about that non-episode until my birthday week when I came home one time to a surprise from the thoughtful hubby who said he got me a small gift, one that he knows I really needed. The surprise really surprised me, for it turned out to be a compact and lip shiner. Wow, how the heck did he have the guts to march into the MAC store and talk make-up with a sales crew there? He isn't the type, see. He is a proud man's man who won't be seen in MAC stores. Or so I thought.

Then a few days after, I arrived in my office to see a stack of MAC products from Shanana! Wow, talk about it raining MAC!

Between the hubby and Sha, that's my haul in the picture up above. As you can see, I have more than enough powder and blusher and lip glass to last me a whole year. Now, if only someone would give me that Chanel handbag, then life would be a really rosy. ;-)

No comments: